Friday, October 2, 2009

Dave Hewitt's Video Response

Dave Hewitt has a very interesting way of teaching students. I thought in this way, the students can try to guess what is going on and then have an immediate reassurance of being correct. However, to be honest, I had no idea what he was doing at first. I thought he was showing distances at first with the counting. I also thought that maybe he was marking a spot as 4 or 5. After I saw that he was just trying to get the kids to count with him on a large number line, I understood what he was doing. Then he had the students start at different places like 700 or 1,000,0000 and have them count forwards and backwards from that spot. This was probably review for the students. The finale was when he started at 0 and then had the student go forwards and backwards from that number. I think this showed that minus 1 was just 1 less than 0.

I thought teaching grade 9 was interesting. He had "taught: them how to solve for a variable. My only problem would be what if a student answered but the question was wrong. Also not everyone was participating in the speaking portion of it. However, he had the students repeat it many times and had them pick out certain words to highlight the patterns of it. Then he had the students highlight another point. Thus he's guiding the students to speak the material he was teaching. This was very interesting. The other positive I found in this section was that he would be able to have the students speaking to learn it and reinforce the concepts. Thus, the material is not only heard, but also spoken and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment