Monday, November 16, 2009

Memorable Moments from Practicum

I sort of can't find where the sheet I wrote was so I'll try to just type for eight or so minutes.

Memory 1:
I was asked if I was a new student in the grade 9 class science class. Granted my sponsor teacher had a policy of not outright saying this new person was but just showing by interactions and presentations, I think this student wanted to spite me. She was a bit catty and chatty. I had dressed up very professional the last day and this second day I was wearing nice pants and a leather jacket. Anyways, I decided not to play her game if she was playing a game and just told her I was a student teacher. My sponsor teacher said that there are sometimes students coming in and out and peer tutors helping out in the class. I knew this was going to happen.

Memory 2:
I had taught my math sponsor's two classes. The first was a grade 11 class and the 2nd was a grade 9 class. I wanted to do TPS with the students. I made a mistake with the grade 11 class and they went crazy. They didn't do their seatwork and didn't want to present to the class after. I talked with my FA and SA after the lesson. I learned now I need to set expectations and stress these expectations. I needed to stress that they needed to work and at the end I would choose randomly a person to go and present to the class. I deliberately wrote out the words I was going to say so that I was emphasize on the SHARING part of TPS. My SA stressed that if the students are working harder than the teacher, the teacher is working too hard. Thus, with all this in mind, my grade 9 class went much smoother even though they were grade 9s. I also learned from the ToC that day, if you confiscate a cell phone, keep it hidden in a drawer or in a pocket or the phone will be stolen or lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment