Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Response to article

It should be every teacher's desire for the students to understand mathematics at a higher level. Students should not only be able to compute answer but also use manipulate math concepts they learned to do other questions. For this reason, I thought it was interesting that the students did not have a good grasp of the higher mathematics with the lecture style than the hands on approach. Our class really prefers to teach instrumentally. Perhaps this is not so teacher centered teaching but rather student centered learning. This suggests I should let students have more time to learn the material rather than just lecturing a lot. Once when I was doing my volunteering, I had to teach a whole class on grade 10 math. I did the think pair share with the class as an activity during the lecture. The students had to multiply polynomial fractions and simplify. I had the students talk to their neighbours, share and change their answers. When they were done sharing, I asked for different answers and polled how many got each of those answers. Then I told them showed them how I would do the problem and where it could have gone wrong to show the other answers. I do question this method in whether it would help them have a higher level of understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment